Friday 14 February 2014

Kangeiko opportunity

Concluding my training outside my private dojo, the Asobudojo, in Ichinomiya, Aso-shi: 100 seiken choku-zuki
A crazy level of snow has fallen here in Aso shi… Even Aso-jin are surprised by it! Yesterday, my commute home from my private dojo took close to two hours, which is normally a 10 minute drive. This morning Mizuho’s car and my car were both buried in snow.
At the dojo, after training in the dojo for two hours, I decided to get outside and do some “kangeiko style” training: 100 choku-zuki; 100 migi and hidari gyaku-zuki; 100 migi and hidari mae-geri; and a run to the dojo caretaker to return the key. Needless to say, the dojo caretaker was shocked when she saw me running (to her office in my dogi) in the snow. She said in Nihongo, “you are very Japanese”, which can best be translated “…you are a crazy gaijin”. Actually she is such a lovely old lady and was very concerned I might get sick from the cold. Often I have received snacks, genki drinks, and visits during my self-training.
Anyway, it was a case of frozeeturn the keyfor two hours. two hours.o I decided to get outside and do some kangeiko style trainnign, sore muscles, but an excellent session!

Heian-yondan kata before getting out into the snow.
Unable to travel to Kumamoto today and study under Nakamura Masamitsu Shihan, due to the dangerous road conditions, I will need to turn our spare bedroom into a mini dojo; however, I will use the time to review some points in my kihon.
Osu, André.
© André Bertel. Aso-shi, Kumamoto-ken, Japan (2014).

No comments: