Thursday 26 December 2013

2013 winds down

2013 has been a very-very busy year for me. It included doing my final semester at the University of Canterbury; graduating and receiving my degree in absentia; teaching karate seminars in South Africa and New Zealand; moving back to Japan; joining the Japan Karate Association (JKA); attending a seminar by Shuseki-Shihan Masaaki Ueki (9th Dan); testing for JKA 5th Dan; celebrating seven years of being married.., the list goes on…

 One thing I can say, reflecting on all the busyness of 2013, is that it has been a very productive and happy 12 months. Furthermore, 2013 has provided me with ample opportunities to grow as human being. Needless to say, Karate-Do has been a major force in this process.
 
Today's training was hard and, yet again, showed me that I still know nothing about karate. Accordingly, this inspires me to continue my daily practice and keep seeking Karate-Do. Whether I can ever get `good' or  not is irrelevant. My aim is to simply move forward as best I can.

 I’d like to use this opportunity to thank everyone whom I have been fortunate to come into contact with this year through Karate-Do. Thank you all very much!

 Finally, I’d like to wrap up by wishing you, and your family, a very happy and healthy 2014. Kindest regards, Osu.

André Bertel

© André Bertel. Aso-shi, Kumamoto. Japan (2013).

No comments: