Sunday 12 June 2011

Rakuyo Kata Performed Slowly

In the video featured here Asai Sensei had me perform the IJKA kata RAKUYO (Falling Leaf) slowly.

_________



Asai Sensei's commentary is worth listening to! Sensei liked my kata, as I did it the way he wanted me to - as pure BUJUTSU (MARTIAL ART). That is probably why he shared so many of his koten-gata with me and always had me demonstrate kata when assisting him at seminars. According to Mrs. Asai (now IJKA PRESIDENT), "watch my husbands body language when he had you demonstrate a kata for him"... This is really shown in this video!


Needless to say, I still perform kata as Sensei taught me focusing on practical application, smoothness, fluidity, natural action and snap. Asai Sensei defined "precise kata" as "karate for actual kumite/self-defence application".
_________

Whilst this is not explosive video footage, I hope you appreciate it for what it is. Rakuyo kata performed slowly in front of my late karate teacher, the legendary Shotokan Master Shuseki-Shihan Tetsuhiko Asai.


© André Bertel. Christchurch, New Zealand (2011).

No comments: