Saturday 7 June 2008

Asai Sensei's Birthday

Today is Sensei's birthday so if he was still with us, he would have turned 73 years old. I still cannot believe that nearly two years have elapsed since he passed away. Every practice I try to meditate on what Asai Sensei taught and explained to me. I know that in every respect I fall short of what he wanted me to achieve. Regardless, I have the satisfaction of pressing on in hope of perhaps one day getting somewhere close. It goes without saying, that following the model of Tetsuhiko Asai Sensei, really ensures that I achieve my maximum potential as a karateka. Days, months and years pass so very quickly... So whatever we do (work, academic study, karate etc) I believe we should give our utmost best like Sensei did. Such thinking, and application of this thinking "every day the sun rises" can only result in success. More importantly this 'way of life' leads to self-satisfaction. Taking shortcuts literally cheats ourselves and this can only result in a reduction of self-esteem. Why not be 'the best you can be' at whatever you challenge in your life?
____________
I'd like to end this post by quoting one of Asai Sensei's favourite sayings. Please think about this: "Todays training must be better than yesterdays training, and tomorrows training must be better than todays."
____________
OSU!


© André Bertel, Japan 2008

No comments: