Monday 21 January 2008

Ichinichi Issho

Ichinichi Issho is a famous saying in Japanese, which means 'One day one lifetime'. The first time I heard it was training at the JKA (Japan Karate Association) here in Japan many years ago. To me, this philosophy is a maxim for our human lives, and of course, karate training included. Why? Because before life, there is nothing - that is, we can't achieve anything. And once our lives are over, it goes without saying, we have no control. Obviously all that matters is our 'lifetime'. If we treat 'each day' as a lifetime, like ‘Ichinichi Issho’ implies, we will make the most of our lives in all areas. I've found that regularly revisiting this philosophy (on a daily basis) greatly helps me 'to give my very best' each time I practice karate.
__________________________
Training first - philosophy second, if at all...

I’d like to add here that I HATE KARATE PHILOSOPHY WHICH IS NOT RELATED TO ACTUAL TRAINING (there are far too many 'karate-wafflers', with all the theories under the sun, who can’t do high-level karate, and never could ). We must talk with our waza, and establish philosophies/strategies to help us to 'physically' keep achieving results (better put - 'keep improving our technique'). Train first... Talk and/or write later! That is, if you are blessed with the time, and desire to do so. Personally I find making posts and discussing karate is really beneficial when recovering from fatigue, and those inevitable muscle pains, strains, impact injuries etc. But we must always remember, someone who only talks, and perhaps teaches karate, is not a karateka, unless they seriously train themselves.

________________________
Here is my remodelled training regime (since Kangeiko http://andrebertel.blogspot.com/2008/01/kangeiko-2008.html).

KIHON


I have simplified my ido kihon back to 'grass roots' training as follows: (1) Chudan oi zuki; (2) Sanbon zuki; (3) Chudan mae geri or Sambon geri; (4) Chudan mae geri kara chudan oi zuki; (5) Chudan mawashi geri; (6) Chudan mawashi geri kara chudan gyaku zuki); (7) Yoko keage or Yoko keage ashi o kaete yoko kekomi (kiba dachi); (8) Yoko kekomi or ushiro geri; (9) Gedan barai; (10) Gedan barai kara chudan gyaku zuki (sometimes with kaiten shinagara); (11) Jodan age uke; (12) Jodan age uke kara chudan gyaku zuki; (13) Chudan soto ude uke; (14) Chudan soto ude uke kara chudan gyaku zuki or Chudan soto ude uke kara yori ashi (into kiba dachi) chudan yoko empi uchi (sometimes I'm adding uraken yokomawashi uchi); (15) Chudan uchi ude uke; (16) Chudan uchi uke kara chudan gyaku zuki or Chudan uchi uke kara kizami zuki sara ni chudan gyaku zuki; (17) Chudan shuto uke (kokutsu dachi); and (18) Chudan shuto uke (kokutsu dachi) kara shihon nukite

Stationary kihon: The most 'simple' is always the 'most hardest'... (19) Kizami zuki kara chudan gyaku zuki; and (20) Mae geri (chudan keage, jodan keage then jodan tsumasaki kekomi).

My kihon fired into the air is 'precision training', I also couple this with impact work on the makiwara and heavy bag (power training). Typically I do 30-100 repetitions of all my stationary kihon techniques (on each side). With ido-kihon, I do at least 10-20 repetitions of each technique. As stated in past posts, I tend to also do around 10 warm up techniques (in slow motion) for both stationary and line-work.

_________________________

KATA / KUMITE

My KATA training at present is as follows: (A) The six standard kihon kata (shitei kata): Heian-shodan, Heian-nidan, Heian-sandan, Heian-yondan, Heian-godan and Tekki-shodan. (B) The four sentei kata: Bassai-Dai, Kanku-Dai, Enpi and Jion. (C) Jiyu kata: Bassai-Sho & Gojushiho-Dai. (D) Asai-ryu kata: Joko-Issei, Joko-Nisei and Joko-Sansei (I'm revisiting the first three kata of this series to upgrade my fundamental techniques). Insofar as repetitions are concerned, right now I'm typically doing five different kata a day, and repeating each kata two to three times. On some days I just do one or two kata many times.

For KUMITE training: Practical/combative application of Heian-godan and Tekki-shodan (I love the seize, hit and choke/break techniques, as they suit my 'style'). I'm also training the first four of Asai sensei's combination attacks (applying 'Go no sen) which all utilize ducking and entering, rotational, and reverse rotational movements. These techniques tie in nicely with the Heian/Tekki techniques, but work on a more elusive (more advanced, if that exists?) approach, as opposed to seizing from the onset of a violent encounter.

_________________________
This sudden change in my training schedule was initiated to 'maximise' my karate development in 2008. I want to continue improving my skills at the current pace, and achieve the technical level, which I've visualized in my mind (I have highly decisive quarterly targets based on my self-expectations). This can only become a reality by following 'Ichinichi Issho' when I engage in my daily practice. I hope this little article encourages you to follow the philosophy of 'Ichinichi Issho' in your training too. OSU! Andre

______________________

© André Bertel, Japan 2008

No comments: